Friday, August 22, 2014

I've been thinking about living a greener life and what I can do to be "greener." Do I have to be as extreme as people believe Ed Bedley, Jr. to be? Actually, I don't find Ed to be extreme. If I owned a house, I'd have more opportunities to be green than I do now as an apartment renter. But, would I still compost? Yes. (I compost now at my local community garden.) Would I still wash clothes by hand as much as possible? I would. (I have a hand-cranking little washing machine.) And, I'd hang them outside to dry, instead of inside my apartment, as I do now. Would I recycle? Yes, the same as I do now. Would I take short showers? Yes, as I do now. If I had a house, I'd have a rain barrel to catch rain water to use in my garden, if I had my own garden. Truth is, I've been doing green things for many years. In recent years, I've added a number of things to the list of "don't use" list, focusing on electric things. I don't have a microwave oven. No electric nail dryer. I don't have an electric blow dryer, electric curling iron, or electric rollers. I wash my hair in the shower, and let it air dry. I don't have an electric can opener. My electric appliances are limited to the electric stove, oven, and refrigerator that came with my apartment, one blender that I use for making moisturizing creams, a laptop computer, and a printer. I have a tv that's sitting in the closet. I haven't watched it since I moved into this apartment in June this year. I don't even know if I would have tv reception if I plugged it in. I went on a tv "fast" from 2006 until 2011 and I'm on one again now. I have a stereo receiver/amplifier, CD player, and pair of speakers in the living room. And, a small radio/CD player in my bedroom. Of course, I have a battery charger for my laptop and one for my cell phone. But, that's it. No electric carving knife, no electric skillet, no electric grill, no electric rice cooker. No electric shaver or electric paper shredder. No vacuum cleaner or electric rug shampooer (I have wood floors.) No electric mixer or food processor. No electric coffee bean grinder or electric Expresso maker (I'm a tea drinker). No electric hedge clippers, leaf blower, or weed whacker. (If I owned a house, I would still not have these things.) If I had a garden, I'd get some of those little solar lights that light up at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment