Friday, August 22, 2014

We have warm weather this weekend here in Brooklyn. The snow is melting and the sun is shining. Through my opened windows, I hear my windchimes tinkling. I got up early today and walked to the laundromat to wash sheets and blankets and I'm washing the smaller things in my hand-cranked WonderWasher" hand-cranked machine. Starting this spring, I'll have plots in two community gardens in my neighborhood. The first one is four blocks away behind a Brooklyn Public Library branch, where two gardeners created six plots out of a small unused lawn area. Here, in this 4'x8' plot, I'll grow vegetables. I have all of my seeds--some new and some left from last year. I plan to grow Roma tomatoes, garlic chives, parsley, carrots, zucchini, squash, and corn. In my plot in the community garden that's three blocks away, my plot is a bit smaller (3'x6'). There, I'll grow Yarrow, Calendula, Cosmos, Coreopsis, Canterbury Bells, Asters, Nigella, Cornflower, Chinese Lantern, and Kiss-Me-Over-the-Garden-Gate. I'll use this bed as my flower nursery. When the plants are big enough to transplant, I'll move many of them to the Cottage Garden I've started at the garden's main entrance and I'll put a few in the Perennial section. I plan to buy all of the other vegies I need plus fruit from either a CSA or from Greenmarkets. This way, I can get fresh, organic vegies every week. My other big project this spring is to get ready to exhibit at the Green Festival in New York City the weekend of April 26-27. My business, Anna's Potions and Lotions, will have a booth. I hope to reach some 30,000 people through exhibiting at this festival. I hope you can visit if you're in the New York City area. For more information, go to GreenFestivals.org. When you're there, stop by my booth in the Organic Body Care section.

No comments:

Post a Comment